care about your future

Transferring benefits to another public service pension scheme

Transfers-out to other public service scheme is still permissible and special terms are available if you wish to do this. Quotations are available on request from SPPA.   

If you have been a member of a police pension scheme elsewhere in the UK your benefits will not transfer automatically to the scheme. You must apply in writing for a transfer to be made. Applications to transfer benefits into the scheme must be made within 12 months of joining.

More information about transferring between schemes can be found in our factsheets.

I am now working in the private sector

From April 2015, the law changed and it is now no longer permitted to transfer benefits from a public sector scheme to a defined contribution pension scheme which are typically offered in the private sector. Your new employer will tell you what type of scheme they provide.